First-time ever getting gel nails: The salon I went to just got the gel nail system a few days before I got it done. (Maybe that should have been a red flag!) She applied three coats of color plus base and top coat. I application of color was uneven and some spots had less color, but I still thought the color was pretty. I got it done during Thanksgiving, so at that time I was cooking and cleaning a lot. They did chip about four days after I got it done. They were really easy to take off though, it peeled right off. I paid $30 for the service including a manicure.
First day: a friend of mine recommended I go to her nail salon. I was so happy I did. This was the second time I went to that particular nail salon. I chose a bright pink with glitter. It was such a pretty color. I loved it!!! And you get to see how shiny it looks. I paid $20 for the service including a manicure.
You can really see in the picture below that she did a nice even coat of color for all the nails.
One Week Later: There is some growth and no chips!!!!!!!!! That’s the best part and they still look shiny. I took them off a day shy of two weeks, but I didn’t take a picture of what they looked like. Sorry! It was just a bit more growth and you could definitely see my nail growing it. So there was a small section with no polish.
I probably should have cleaned the skin around my nails. Sheesh!
Gel nails pro:
· It can last up to TWO weeks!!!
· They don’t have to shave down your nails like they do for acrylics
· There is no dry time, so no chance to mess them up (I’ve experienced that a few times. So upsetting!)
· My nails were so strong while I had the gel on them
· Nails look shiny the entire time
Gel nails con:
· When taking the gel off (in my experience) it weakened my nails
· It can be expensive, depending on where you go
Occasions to get gel nails:
· When you travel (you wont have to worry about bringing polish, or remover with you)
· Weddings (don’t stress about whether your nails will last)
· For fun, create an occasion!
Conclusion: Try it out, but make sure it’s a salon you trust!!! I know I will get it again. J